Friday, January 19, 2007

Shit Happens...

So, I woke up this morning 10 minutes early so I wouldn't feel so "rushed" with the morning routine. I got out of the shower early, I ate breakfast and felt quite comfortable. I got to the train station, hopped on the train, and was going to meet my friend at her stop. Everything was going perfectly. I realized two stops into the train ride, that I'd left my Sumie tools at home. Instead of freaking out, I called my host mom and told her. She was super super cool, she laughed and said "I'll meet you at Umetsubo station" which was one stop behind me. I figured I'd be ok with time. Unfortunately, I JUST missed the train when Iw as trying to go back. I finally made it, ran down to her, grabbed my stuff, ran back up to the platform and JUST made it back onto the train going back towards school...or did I? I got on the wrong train. As soon as the voice said the next stop, I knew, I was in trouble. We went for a looooooong time before it stopped. I got off and at the exact same time my train arrived, the train BACK arrived. Everyone saw me bolt to the other platform, as I got there, the doors closed. The conductor saw me, laughed, and reopened them. Thank god. I made it to school about 8 minutes late. I hate being late for things.




I realized that Pat Metheny makes a great soundtrack for Japan. So does a lot of 80s music, Tupac, Dr. Dre, Sugar Hill Gang, some Stevie Wonder, and surprisingly, African music (Especially Ali Boulo Santo).

On an ending note. Reasons why Japan is crazy. Over the past two weeks the news has reported the following: A brother who murdered his sister (they were adults). A little girl got hit by a truck and died. A man randomly grabbed a little boy while he was walking over a bridge with his mom and threw him off the bridge. A girl murdered and cut up her boyfriend into a lot of pieces. Then today, a woman was caught dragging a bloody body out of a hotel and putting it into her car where she drove off and got into a car accident (images of a car covered in blood, and bloody snow). All of these were shown on the news with lots of animations showing exactly "how the truck hit the girl" and "how the boy fell". None of this is funny, I know, except my host family is very unphased by it and finds some of it kind of funny. However, this is all ok to show on TV in a country where if you wear your "house slippers" without socks, people can get very offended.

No comments: