Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Booyah. Booyah. Booyah.

I can't think of a time when I've been so conscience of being a white person. Even in Africa, I feel like I blended in more. (Probably because I am black) I ride the trains here, NO ONE wants to sit near me. (And it's not because I stopped showering in December). People stare at me all the time. (NOT because of my leather-vest-with-no-shirt-underneath-and-cut-offs-while-wearing-rollerblades-and-giant-headphones-style). I've even been denied service at a restaurant, though I blame it on the ridiculous size of the group I was "with" and their obnoxious inability to control their vocal dynamics. The waitress kept saying "That takes too long to make, we can't make it" to anything we tried to ordered. Two other gents and myself split off from the group to show the owners our polite, quiet, respectful nature and were eventually served and actually waited to til everyone left to have a nice conversation with the owners. BUT initially, they wanted us out. I ordered a thing of Curry Rice and then someone at the table next to us (the loud people) ordered the same thing and the waitress said "We don't have any rice. you must order something different" (this is where you should take a hint. No restaurant in Japan runs out of rice) so she ordered toast. I got my rice. Booyah.



This sign wasn't REALLY there.

PS My host brother finally talked to me. He was nice. It was the third of forth time I've seen him. We talked about Africa, he's going to Morocco in March or April. Respect.

1 comment:

Bruno & Maggie said...

Don't feel bad or at least to bad. I am In Iraq and people look at us that way or worst. Maybe because we are wearing camo clothing and some of us weapons or maybe because we are american. and on top of that I am Puertorrican and people ask me all the time what language I speak. So don't worry and be your self.
PS: I wish I have some rice...and beans