Sunday, January 14, 2007

Rockin the Onsen

The other night, I was sitting and finishing up dinner (it was about 9 at night) my host dad goes "do you have any plans?" I said "nope." he said "you should take a bath!" I thought "sure why the hell not!" and agreed. I was slightly ocnfused when he threw me my coat and towel and we drove for 20 minutes to a large old building. We go inside and what do ya know he wanted me to go to the public bath house....with him. I was KINDA nervous, but not really since I didn't really have much of a choice...I was there...I was getting naked. There was no way out of it. 20 year old american men don't usually like to waltz around from bath to bath totally naked...with other naked men (ranging from about 14 to their 80s). Well I didn't think about it and just did it. It was really relaxing after everyone stopped staring at me. A tall white, gangly, hairy, monster with huge eye brows...how could they not stare.

I'm kind of a monster here. I have to walk over a huge arched bridge every morning to get to the train. Little kids are walking to school, the see me and start to run. If I smile they always stop and stare. Then in horror, they wave at me. After I wave back they are amazed, they never know how to react. It's the same way with adults on the train. If I smile and nod at them...they freak out and occasionally take a picture of me on their cellphone...I'm seriously a monster. I love it.

3 comments:

LoLo said...

that is so awesome! MONSTER MIKE i love it!

Natalie said...

Im prettyyyy sure they just think youre SOoooOOOO CUTE.
actually very sure

Unknown said...

Lauren is right. You will foreven now be Monster Mike.