Wednesday, June 25, 2008

People Persons...

Hakodate is an interesting place, there aren't many young people that live here, but a lot of young people visit it. Middle Schools in Japan take class trips every year to various places. Some go to Hiroshima, some go to Nara, and as I've learned, some come to Hakodate. I got on the street car here to ride downtown and suddenly I was surrounded by 12 year olds who looked like 7 year olds. They were tiny. They were decked out in some serious clothing though. They were all whispering about the "Gaikokujin" on the bus. I'm the Gaikokujin (Person from a foreign country). On finally said "Hello." So I said "Hello." back and they all go "WHOA." It happens every time. It's hilarious.

One little girl wearing a blue denim cowboy hat and a shirt that said "PRETTY GIRL KISS" all over it finally started speaking to me in Japanese. All of the grammar you learn in first year Japanese suddenly became handy. Here is the conversation written... it was all in Japanese, this is the english version....

Girl 1: What country are you from?
Me: America
GIrl 2: Ooooh, America.
Me: Where are you all from?
Girl 2: We're from Aomori, it's south of here. We're on a middle school trip, are you also on a middle school trip?
Me:....well...no.
Girl 1: He's not on a middle school trip, he's at least 35 years old.
Me: I'm 22.
Girl 2: He's not 35 years old!
Girl 1: What time is it?
Me: It's 2:45
Girl 2: What is your favorite color?
Me: I like blue and green. What's YOUR favorite color?
Girl 1: MINE is Pink. And Blue. And Red. And White.
Me: White?
GIrl 1: Yeah, white. And Purple. And Grey.
Me: Grey? Do you like all colors?
Girl 1: NO! I like all colors except black.

I'm telling you, these kids are not very good conversationalists... Anyway, at this point one of the small children was touching my camera bag and said "What's in here??" Now, this is the closest I've gotten to getting myself in trouble in Japan. I said "It's my gun." She, and EVERYONE on the street car FREAAAAAAAAAAAAKKED out. I thought it was hilarious...

Ok... Just kidding. I didn't really say that. But I really really wanted to because I knew they'd believe me. I told them it was my camera and they were like "Take our picture when we get off the cable car." But when I got off they ran away. It's ok. That girls denim cowboy hat didn't really gel with the rest of her get up. It wasn't picture worthy... or maybe it was, but just for a different reason.

If you ARE interested in seeing some of my photos feel free to browse at www.flickr.com/ohmalarkey

Other than that, there's no major news to report. I bought myself a cheap guitar. My host mom some how managed to sign me up to play at a concert at my two twin host-sisters elementary school... tonight. I'm going to play a chord melody of "Wave" by Antonio Carlos Jobim for them. Should be an interesting gig, that's for darn sure! I'm looking forward to this "camping trip" this weekend. I'm sharing a room with two of my friends and then one guy who I don't know who always has a sweaty back. No hard feelings though, I don't judge. Although, on the first day he went up to my friend Dokken (who is also in the room) and was like "Are you actually Japanese?" Dokken said "no, I'm Thai, but I'm from America..." and before he could finish the guy was like "oh... " and pranced (not walked) away. He has some pep to his step, so it'll be an interesting weekend.

-Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike

2 comments:

Susanna said...

Haha good luck at your concert!! You'll have to let me know how it goes! I'm sure it'll be great. Good luck on your "camping trip" haha hope you don't run into any dangerous animals!!

Unknown said...

How did the gig at the school go? I am sure they LOVED you...who wouldn't.