Thursday, February 1, 2007

Lessons Learned

How do you top the Onsen story? You can't. Anyone who has read it will probably be utterly dissatisfied with any other message I write...

So I keep missing random parts of my homework here. Not because I don't like it and don't want to, but because I can't read my homework-schedule-sheet because it's in a confusing writing called "Japanese." So today I finally piped up and told the teacher. He told me to "never come back to Nanzan University until I know how to read." He told me this by saying "Haha, here let me explain..." I will, now and always, do my homework.

I don't have a lot of great stories to tell today since this week has been pretty quiet so I will give you a small bit of knowledge about Japanese Culture incase any of you decide to make the trek over here...

Since space in Japan isn't too abundant and 96-98% of Japanese are buddhist, when people die they are almost all cremated. After an extremely extremely elaborate funeral, the casket is brought to be burned. After it's burned the family sifts through the remaining ashes with chopsticks to take out any remaining bones. They pass the bones to one anothers chopsticks, and places them into an urn. Because of this, it's VERY "taboo" to pass any food during a meal from chopstick to chopstick. Always take it, place it on a plate, and then pass it. Or just move the serving place to that person.

ALSO, they often place a bowl of rice out for the deceased with a pair of chopsticks stuck into the rice. Because of THIS, you shouldn't ever stick your chopsticks into your rice when you aren't using them. Instead, lay them across your bowl or plate.

I'll be heading to Tokyo for 4 or 5 days next week and I can't wait. I've got my fingers crossed for spending a night in a capsule hotel!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

these look like vending machines. Don't get stuck in it.

maroney said...

are those really hotel rooms? Or train seats?