Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Fifteen Minutes Might Be Up

So while I was in Tokyo we went to this place called Akihabara. It's kind of a geek-out place with tons of electronics and anime stuff. I liked the electronics, but we didn't have much time to walk around. One our way to the train we came across some people with TV cameras and this really hip looking Japanese guy ran over to our group and asked if we would like to be on a TV News Show. We were pretty scared because we aren't great at Japanese, but figured we could get through with it. The said the girls would go first, then they'd interview the guys. The girls talked about a lot of stuff and were pretty rockin with the Japanese. After they finished they called us guys over. Mike E. is good at Japanese so all of my answers were pretty much based off of his because I could only understand chunks of what the news lady was asking us. But it was ok, and good practice for speaking Japanese. She was basically just asking us what we like to do in Japan, whta we think of it, things like that. My said he liked doing Karaoke and she asked what songs we sang. I said "A lot of American 80s songs..." she wasn't impressed (Even though I do a mean cover of "It's Raining Men" "What a Fool Believes" and "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go"...seriously, they would all leave you in tears.) She asked if we knew any Japanese songs. I remembered back to my Sophomore-In-High-School days where we translated "Ue Wo Muite Aruko" (Also known as Sukiyaki) by Kyuu Sakamoto. She then said "Sing it!" I said "Well..." looked around at the slowly gathering crowd of weird forgieners and Japanese people. "GIMME THAT FUCKIN MICORPHONE, LADY!!" (I thought in my head) "Sure!" (I've recently stopped caring about what people think of me in this country because I already stand out, have run (naked) into old ladies, bathed with old men and unfortunately little girls, eaten fish sperm, sang bad 80s songs in karaoke (seriously, you'd CRY they're so good, and I also frequently drop food/my chopsticks, and bang my head). So I decided "why not do it" it's only some local news show. All the people laughed and pointed at me which I expected and was funny, the attractive news lady even laughed and clapped and told me good job. I'm pretty sure I got a lot of the words wrong. Anyway, after that they told me a bunch of jokes to say and made me redo some random stuff. It was fun! They gave me a fancy pen that is actually 4 pens in one (one blue, one black, one red and a white out pen) that had the TV show info on it. I showed it to my mom when I got home and she totally freaked because it's a national news/variety show that's on every saturday morning. It may not make it onto the news, they said they'd call us if makes it on, but lets just say, I'm in for one embarrassing trip if it DOES make it on! I can't wait.


(Talkin...)



(Singin...)

2 comments:

Dad said...

I told you there are big $$$$$$ in your future. We can now bill you as a Japanese TV Superstar. Maybe there's a guest appearance on Iron Chef. " The fish sperm reminds me of ...." Isn't Sukiyaki about suicide? You must be a great comedian if you can make them laugh at that. " they were dying. I killed them with Sukiyaki!"

Unknown said...

You are so way cool. How is it that my kids are always on TV or meeting famous people?