Tuesday, February 27, 2007

God, That is sooo Japanese...

I have been noticing more and more interesting Japanese perspectives from my family recently. For instance...

Last night I was explaining what the "Polar Plunge" is. My little sister did it in Wisconsin this past week or so and I thought it was an interesting thing that Japanese people would probably find interesting. I explained it (For those of you who don't know, it is to raise money for the Special Olympics. You raise pledges and then dive into a frozen lake. Saftey, of course, is there to make sure you don't die...) My host family really didn't get it though. They kept asking "So, she gets money from people. Then to say 'thank you' she jumps into the lake?" "No, not quite, it's more like 'How much would you pay me to jump into this frozen lake?'" "I don't understand, why would someone pay her to jump in the lake? It's cold and dangerous." "Exactly, because it is cold and dangerous." "...." "...." ".............." ".................."

I guess that is just the "American Way" This morning I explained what a Date Auction is, my host mom loved that idea, she thought it was so funny.

Another funny thing is the way I eat, compared to how they eat. My host dad stopped me and asked me why I had so much rice left. My host sister said "All the host students we have always save most of their rice for last." I realized that I eat each little chapter of food until its gone and then move on. I rarely do one bite of food, one bite of rice, as they tend to do here. My dad said "That's crazy! Rice has no taste! why would you want to eat it alone??" The answer is: Rice. Is. Good.

Another thing I am realizing is that, probably because my vocablary and speaking ability is that of a child, my mother thinks I am a child. I was sharing starburst and reese's with my family to see how they liked them (They love them) and after I popped a starburst into my mouth, my host mom said "Make sure you brush your teeth!" She also likes to point random things out to me. Last night, at the grocery store, she stopped me in front of a little food stand and said "Look! They have a stove!" Then this morning as I was leaving and saying "Ittekimasu!" (which is what you say when you leave) she started laughing and when I asked why she said "I was going to tell you to make sure you have your gloves and commuter pass...I keep forgetting that you are an adult." Then she continued to laugh the whole time she walked me outside.

Also, on a side note, last night we went to a Kaitenzushi (The sushi restaurants where the sushi is on the little conveyorbelt and you take what you want) and when you'd order your own sushi on a separate track, it'd be brought to you on top of a little Bullet-Train. It made eating 1000 times more fun... I guess I am a child.

Naked Man Festival Countdown : TWO DAYS


2 comments:

Susanna said...

AHH!! I'm so excited to come!!! those shows sound crazy!!

Unknown said...

That Polar Plungr story is one of the best ever. I was thinking I should move to Japan and teach them how to have fund raisers. But I think only Americans would pay people to do crazy things like jump inot a freezing lake, In Japn it seems like (from TV shows and UTube videos that they just do things like that for the hell of it or for entertainment. Then again, I just returned from Vail where I paid money to spend the day in 10 below weather ( not including the wind chill) skiing all day.