Sunday, June 20, 2010

Gross.

So something gross happens in this story...

I had this big bag of rice sitting in my apartment for a while and decided I should try and finish it up before I left. The easiest thing for me to cook that goes with rice is curry. I hadn't eaten curry in a while because it's not particularly healthy, but it's easy to make and tastes good so I treated myself.

I needed some things from the store, a carrot, an onion, some potatoes, and some chicken. I measured out my rice, washed it, and threw it in the rice cooker (it takes about 40 minutes to cook the rice). I went to the store, got my ingredients, came back and started cooking.

I made my curry in record time, I even found a piece of chicken in my fridge that was a few days old and cooked it with the rest of the food. I had to leave to pick up my girlfriend at the train station by 8:20 and I finished cooking at 8:00 and ate my dinner quickly. A big bowl of rice, a bowl of curry, a glass of water.

When I got back to my apartment I still wanted some rice, so I just took a big spoonful out of the rice cooker and ate some...

I thought I'd be a gentleman and offer m'lady, "Ya want some?" I held the spoon out to Hilary.

"No, thanks."

I brought the spoon back to my face and noticed a little something that didn't look like the rest of the rice.

"Oh my god, there are worms in my rice."

Little skinny white maggot worms with a teeny black dot on their head. There wasn't just one or two, there were a bunch.

My first thought was "Jeez, I must have left the rice cooker opened when I went to get Hilary at the train station." Then I realized they were cooked too and knew that they came from the old bag of rice.

We emptied out the rest of the rice from the rice cooker and it was peppered with little maggots. The rice in the bag still had some living ones that were crawling around... how wonderful. I guess it coulda been worse, but it's never a pleasant feeling to find those knowing you just had a big serving of them.

2 comments:

Hilary said...

不思議なふりかけ

David Gouldin said...

Hey, Mike. I'm enjoying reading your blog.

My wife and I are considering moving to Niigata, and if you'd be willing I'd like to pick your brain a bit. Send me an email at dgouldin at gmail. Thanks for helping a couple of soon-to-be-expats!