Sunday, December 20, 2009

Living Up To It's Title...

Yasunari Kawabata was the first to use this term, I believe, and he totally nailed it. "雪国" or "Yukiguni" which means "Snow Country." It's the name of his most famous book and it's about... well... right where I'm living. In fact, the name of my apartment complex is "Rent Snow Country."

It started snowing late thursday night and continued through friday, saturday, and a bit on sunday. Sunday the sun came out and the sky opened it. I think it was the sky's way of going, "hey guys! Look what I did!" People climbed onto theif roofs to remove snow and they cleaned out their driveways. Adults were digging out their cars and the little kids were making igloos and snowmen.

As a result, I think they upset natures careful placement of about 3 feet of snow and it started snowing, heavily, again.

I'll post some photos soon.

Does anyone other than my mom read this?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been reading your blog and am enjoying your narrative and observations of snow country. I came across it because I am trying to find out about the yukiguni mushroom factory in niigata. The same company is building one in my small village in upstate NY and I want to know if they are environmentally responsible and if they have had any issues with their neighbors. Have you heard of them?

Unknown said...

I know many other people who read it, they just don't comment for some reason. But even if no one else reads it, keep writing because I really, really enjoy it.

maroney said...

I read it, too. Sometimes many at once...