Friday, December 25, 2009

Case o' the Shakes

There's no such thing as the "worst placement" for the JET program. Even if there were, I'd be nowhere near the worst placement, I love where I live. There is, however, a "worst placement" if you're afraid of earthquakes...

Just last week over the course of about 24 hours there were between 120 and 130 earthquakes in Shizuoka prefecture (an area right next to Tokyo). There was even more seismic activity but you could only feel those 120-130 earthquakes...

This alone is scary, though none of them caused any major damage and no injuries were reported... the part that makes it even scarier is that that's the exact area that is expecting the Tokai earthquake. That's the giant earthquake that Japan has been preparing for that is expected to occur sometime within the next 20 to 30 years. It was confirmed that these little shakes had no relationship to the Tokai earthquake... but in my mind that doesn't matter I'd get the heck out of there. Not for long, just like...30 or 40 years.

2 comments:

maroney said...

Did you feel any shakes or is that far away?

Susanna said...

Yeah I would not be a fan of that. There were a few when I was in NZ but I didn't feel any...