Friday, July 25, 2008

A Word on The Children of Japan

If you've been reading this you may know that my host sisters aren't the most well behaved children on this planet. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it gets really tiring after a while but all kids wear your out. One thing that I've noticed is that there is no punishing that happens in Japan. It's not just my house its a country wide thing, I believe. I remember thinking this in Nagoya, though I didn't have little kids in my house, I taught English at a school with 12-13 year olds at it and they really mouthed off. Other host students often express their surprise that kids get away with anything they do here.

At times they'll be at the table and Hikari will be picking food with her hands off of other peoples plates or she'll be hitting Nozomi and the biggest punishment she gets is a verbal "STOP IT!" from my mom. But Hikari knows that is the worst it's going to get so she never stops. I don't blame her either, if I was a child and I knew the worst punishment I was going to get was a verbal warning, I'd go all out all day.

This is where we get to my opinion of the matter. My opinion is. NOT. FAIR. That was supposed to be MY childhood, where I could do whatever I wanted...

Actually, this is where I find it interesting, once kids get older I don't really see them being as crazy as I'd expect them to be. Japan does have a major problem with bullying in schools but I don't think that's completely related to this problem, I think it has more to do with the schools not punishing kids and the lack of communication between teachers and students. I think the kids not being punished has some other thing that I haven't figured out yet. I'm not sure if it's the pressure of school or something else that forces them to stop messing around, maybe they just get mature on their own.

It's really difficult to watch, though. Especially when Hikari is bugging me. For instance, she came in my room, farted on me, then threw a lollipop that she'd half eaten at me and ran out. Yes, it's hilarious especially since the lollipop stuck to my shirt...and I give her props for picking on the "weird exchange student." (Am I the American "Long Duk Dong" of this family? I think I might be...) but the mom asked me what Hikari did when she saw her bolting out of my room laughing. I told her. And she just said "Hikari don't do that!" I remember thinking "
Are you serious? That's it? I mean, yes the shirt was only from Old Navy but STILL the emotional distress this has caused me requires at least a 'time out' or a 'no dessert' warning. The stench of the fart alone deserves a 'go to your room' punishment..."

So the real question is which is the "right" way to go? This no punishment rule? or the punishment rule? Obviously you know which I favor. It's hard to say, they some how seem to straighten themselves out here somehow... but how??


Now: to answer the questions that people asked me (by leaving a comment... anyone? anyone?)...

1) what food do I want when I come home?
Answer: Something with BBQ sauce. Fruit (even though the fruit here is significantly better than at home in America). and maybe corn on the cob (which they have here too but I still want some.)

2) Who's on first?
Answer: Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third, Why is in the left field, Because is center field, Tomorrow is the pitcher, Today is the catcher, I Don't Give a Darn is the shortstop.

3) If there was a man-eating octopus and you HAD to either throw me (Kate) or Susanna to it for food, who would you pick and why?

Answer: Luckily we've found yourself face to face a man-eating octopus. Luckily Both you (Kate) and Susanna are both women and you've found yourself in the waters of a man-etarian octopus. Luckily I, for some reason, get to be the decision maker of who goes in, so I'd throw you (Kate) in because Susanna isn't a very good swimmer. If Susanna had her floaties or her floating-pool-noodle thing then maybe she could hop in. (Just in case you don't sense the humor, Susanna is a fine swimmer.)

-Mike

1 comment:

Susanna said...

How come I always get picked on in these blogs?? Even from half way around the world you and Kate seem to gang up on me. NOT OK! **And note: I wouldn't be in that situation cause I have an insane fear of drowning, so I wouldn't even make it to that area**