Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why Did I Wake Up at 6:10am?

Why did I wake up at 6:10 this morning? Guess. I bet you'll get it wrong unless you're Japanese then maybe you'll know. The answer is ラジオ体操 = Rajio Taisou = Radio Exerise.

I walked down the street with my host sisters and host mom and went to a big park. It was there that about 60 people gathered, mostly children ages 6-10 and adults ages 40-60. Then me, of course.

This is a pretty awesome little thing they do in Japan. They play a little exercise song on the radio each morning for a few weeks at a time and everyone gets together in their community and does the little exercise. Sometimes they do them in corporations before work and such. It's a fun way to start the day. And it's also really embarrassing when you have no idea what you're doing and are messing up constantly, but it's not that bad. no one laughed at me except for my host mom.

This is a video of what it looks like. I dare you to gather the family around and do it.



and on a side note, tonight my host mom and the twins were wired. Probably because we had a guest at dinner, one of Nozomi and Hikari's friends was there, you'll see her in the video. Anyway, they decided to sing me the Alphabet a few times. They didn't know the whole thing. But it's freakin adorable. Take note at how Nozomi mentions "double-u" then "triple-u" then Hikari scolds her by saying "THERE IS NO TRIPLE U!"


My Host Family Recites the Alphabet from Mike Malarkey on Vimeo.


-Mike

4 comments:

Jana said...

Ok, I've finally caught up on these blogs ... just when you're ready to come home. Matthew loved the alphabet song ... for about 20 seconds then he demanded Dora ... And when you come home, ask your mom if we can come over when she cooks c:)

And by the way, in this household we always wake up at 6:10

Jana said...

Ok, I've finally caught up on these blogs ... just when you're ready to come home. Matthew loved the alphabet song ... for about 20 seconds then he demanded Dora ... And when you come home, ask your mom if we can come over when she cooks c:)

And by the way, in this household we always wake up at 6:10

Alex said...

ラジオ体操looks pretty cool, but is it even close to the level of awesome that is やきとりじいさん体操???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgxCrpXoh-A

I thought not.

Unknown said...

I totally want you to do the radio exercise in one of those outfits they are wearing in the video.