Saturday, August 8, 2009

Things Move Slow When You're Getting Started

Since my predecessor is still here, I have had to sleep in a hotel. No biggie. It has internet. I was informed, however, that one of the nights I must sleep in a different hotel across the street because they couldn't book it. I was in 'Hotel Okabe' but had to move to 'Hotel Paramount' I was told that Paramount was a very very very bad hotel by my vice principal and he apologized over and over for making me stay there. My dreams of a large plush bed were crushed when he told me this.

I switched to the other hotel, with the help of Zack, my predecessor, for a night and showed up to check in at noon. I figured that maybe my room wouldnt be ready since it was early but I could leave my luggage there. Well we walked into the hotel and there was no one there. There were video slot machines in the lobby as well as weird sculptures and dirty coffee cups. We rang the bell on the counter. No one came out. We found a note that said 'Be back soon, call this number if you need help.' So Zack and I called the number.The phone behind the desk started ringing. No luck. So we left and got lunch and then came back.

When we arrived back there was an old Japanese man drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes playing slot machine in a wife beater and sweatpants. I asked if we could check in, clearly this man worked here as his attire fit the atmosphere perfectly. He let out a disgruntled sigh and said 'HAI.' He gave me my room key. He didnt even need to know my name, usually I would this is because I am the only foreigner at the hotel, but this time I think he knew because I was the only person in the entire hotel.

I got to my room, it was surprisingly big but rather revolting. There were stains on everythere. The beds, the carpets, the walls, the desk, the TV. The TV came with free pronography and two other channels. There was no internet. The airconditioner was broken and only put out hot air. There was an add for a massage for 2000 yen, that is about 20 bucks. All I had to do was dial 367 on the phone and they would come give me a massage. Clearly they were running prostitutes out of this hotel. So I called and arranged a massage.
About twenty minutes later my friend playing slots in the lobby appeared in my room with a small case that I hoped contained oils. He opened it up and put on latex gloves and then put, what looked like toothpaste, all over the gloves. He told me to leave my clothes on (WHAT?). At this point, I thought, I dont really want a massage anymore. He took a crazy looking chair out of the closest and in English said 'Theez eez feelz good.' Ok, I lied, I didn't get a massage, but I assumed that is what it would have been like.

I decided I didn't want to stay in my room after I dropped my bags off so I went with Zack to the fireworks fest in the town over. They were pretty, here are some pictures.

After the festival, I went back and went to sleep. There was a small earthquake that night, but nothing I couldn't handle.

The next morning I packed up my bag and got the HECK out of there. When I was leaving the guy who was smoking in the wifebeater waslike 'You get free breakfast when you stay here! you should go eat it' I didn't want to get near any food in that place. I still think there were no other people in that whole hotel...

Theeeeeeeen the other night was the Nagaoka Fireworks Festival. Nagaoka is the closest 'city' to me. Its a decent size and is about 45 minutes by car or 10 minutes by bullet train. Not too shabby. Anyway, this festival is famous in Japan as its the largest fireworks show in Japan. The finale is called the 'Super Phoenix' where they basically blow up a bunch of huge fireworks all alone this river. My expectations were kinda high but fireworks... I dunno. I like em and they are really cool... but I wasnt sure if they could hold my attention for two full hours.

I took a road trip there with Zack and some people who live in my building, they were all really nice. We left right after school so I was in my work clothes and was burning up, I was so sweaty. That is the one thing that really gets me down about Japan. The lack of central air/heating. It is so insanely humid and hot here in the summer that its impossible to go anywhere without sweating your tush off. I dont know why more people dont invest. Fans just do not cut it.

BACK to the story. We drove there and well... I guess there isnt much of a story to tell other than that it was the COOLEST FIREWORKS SHOW IN THE WHOLE WORLD OHMYGOSHITWASCRAAAAAAAAZY. They were easily the loudest, largest, and most colorful fireworks I have ever seen in my whole life. Fireworks shows in Japan are really interesting because various local companies and stuff pay for sections of the fireworks shows. So you get a bunch of mini shows all in a row. So 2 minutes will be from a car dealership and then 2 minutes will be from a school. There is usually a short one minute break between the mini-shows. BUT this one has major Japanese corporations paying for parts so it is crazy. Here are some examples of what I saw...


CLICK HERE TO SEE FIREWORKS FIREWORKS FIREWORKS

CRAZY.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Amazing fireworks, great music!