Tuesday, August 25, 2009

New Flavors This Week...

So this week has brought some variety into my life here...

First, I got to visit BOTH of the other schools I will be working at. There is my base school that is a prestigious High School then I have two "travel schools." The first one I visited reminded me a bit of my high school at home. It was big, the classes were big (about 40 per class), but it was really laid back. The students aren't particularly good at English, but are playful, talkative and don't really like school... like any high schooler.

The other school is smaller, the students know basically no English. In fact, their English classes are conducted in Japanese. So... It's gonna be tough. But at the same time, the students are really fun and rowdy. Apparently they swear in English a lot (which I will just ignore) but I kind of like the change of pace from my base school which is full of the golden-students of Japan who do TONS of homework and study really hard and get into the "best schools in Japan" for college.

The OTHER variety is comes from the ice cream store down the street from my house. It's this teeny tiny place that makes their own ice creams from scratch and the flavors change all the time. This time I went in the flavors were Chocolate Chocolate Chip, Pumpkin, White Mocha, Corn, Fresh Milk, Rum Raisin, Tiramisu, Blueberry Yogurt, Plum Sherbert, Stawberry/Mochi/Bean Paste, Black Soy, and a few others that I forgot. Either way... I got Tiramisu and it was so therapeutic. I never believed in ice cream so much. Not only was it the best ice cream I have ever had, it was the best Tiramisu I've ever had. There was actual tiramisu mixed into the ice cream so every now and then you'd get a nice big hunk of cake soaked in mocha and chocolate. Oh man.

Hilary got Chocolate Chocolate Chip and White Mocha. Both were super smooth and super tasty.

On the way out I bought little cups of corn and pumpkin. They tasted like... corn and pumpkin. Not pumpkin pie style pumpkin. Like... raw pumpkin. It was good. The Tiramisu was better though.

I am starting to enjoy my stay here more.

2 comments:

Dad said...

Good news at last! I always enjoyed the wilder kids too. It gives you more of a challenge and reward.

Unknown said...

Wait, I thought your town had nothing. I could totally live on Tiramisu ice cream and nothing elase.