Sunday, July 26, 2009

The adventure begins...

I wish my adventure began with a real adventure. Where I'm chased by indigenous-forest-people and I make a crazy cool escape in an biplane while arrows and spears whiz by me ...then something blows up. Instead it was just sitting on an airplane for 12 hours watching a Zac Efron movie wishing the other movies weren't broken. Talk about a reaaaally not-exciting start.

So even though my flight was relatively boring I have to give props to American Airlines. They've made the 12.5 hours trek a lot better since they have video games at every seat. The games are pretty bad but you can get lost in them for a little while, while you wait for the Zac Efron movie to rewind. There's Tetris, a matching game, solitate, and a caveman themed pac-man rip off. None were fun. ALSO, the best upgrade in the flight was that they had a few drink stations where, during the flight, one could get up and pour their own cup of water or juice. One station even had a bunch of rolls and crackers. Quite a nice addition. Although 12.5 hours on an airplane is bad no matter how much free juice and bread you get.

Other people on this program seem to be falling into one of three categories. 1) Just got married and won't stop talking about it. 2) Really hardcore Japanophile people 3) Normal cool people. It's pretty easy to tell which kind of person you're talking to from the start, which is nice. I'd say category "1" is by far the worst. I have heard SO many stories about girls husbands who are coming on the trip and couples who just got married and whose husband is the better "house husband" and how one husband really likes mushrooms ("the food ones, not the drug ones.") and it just doesn't stop. The marriage thing is cool or whatever but I really don't care too much about how "wonderful and great married life REALLY is." or how someone "Got married the weekend after finals." Sorry, I had to hear about it for 2 hours on the bus from the airport to the hotel.

Other than that, things have been great. The food has been excellent and the orientation hasn't started. I'm sure it'll be bad. I still stand by my belief that if you give almost anyone a microphone they immediately lose the ability to communicate well. I'm not looking for some legendary speeches but I'm tired of hearing jokes about how I'll miss mexican food and how much rice I'm going to eat. This is getting bitter.

I'm really happy to be back in Japan. It's nice to have the skills to get around. I've noticed my speaking has gotten worse since last time but my reading has gotten a lot better and so has my understanding skills. Thanks to my Japanese teachers this year for the translation courses. Once I get to speak some Japanese I'm sure I'll warm up more.

Take care everyone. I'll update again when I have some more interesting things to say.

-Mike

1 comment:

marty said...

"None were fun." I'm still laughing.