Thursday, May 17, 2007

So Long...

I say, "So Long" to Japan. It's been the most fun I have had in my life. Being able to have this kind of freedom, I feel very lucky. Living in another country with a great family, eating great food every night, and stepping out of my comfort zone on a regular basis. I wish everyone could experience something like this, whether just for a week or for years...

Everyday I start to add things to a list of things I will miss in Japan and here are the current contenders...

1) The Class I teach English To
2) Being able to go out late any day of the week and eat at delicious restaurants with friends
3) Speaking/hearing Japanese on a regular basis
4) The lady I see every morning on my way to school. I see her walking a different dog every day, and each one slightly resembles her...
5) Coco Ichiban Curry House (A cheap and delicious unhealthy Japanese Curry meal)
6) My host moms cooking and my host sisters insane cooking...oh man their Kimuchi Nabe is insane.
7) Japanese Toilets (Self heating seats MAKES the difference)
8) The new friends I've made at school. Being able to make friends who don't understand you in your native language is a very interesting feeling. I've made friends from China, Japan, Thailand, Korea, Netherlands, Poland, and Vietnam...I never ever thought I'd have friends all over.
9) The new friends I've made on my trip. It's strange that I came here knowing absolutely no one and now have friends that I consider some of my best friends.
10) My host family. The funniest and nicest host family of them all...

Things I won't Miss/Things I am happy to get back too...

1) Fruit. The fruit here, although much tastier, is disgustingly expensive so it's a rare eat. I'm looking forward to eating fruit on a more regular basis.
2) Better Showers...
3) Japanes Toilets (though the one in my house has a self-heating seat...public toilets are a dread)
4) My Bed
5) My real family (and yes, Step-family is included)
6) My other moms cooking and the food she buys (i.e. bagels...dear god, I want bagels)
7) I won't miss being stared at so hard you can feel it in the back of your skull...
8) Masks...I hope they don't catch on in the USA
9) I miss my guitars...
10) My friends and teachers back home...



The bad toilets...


The good toilets...



Working at the Cram-School teaching english...

No comments: